Sunday, July 3, 2011

Discoveries in Mitochondria Open New Field of Cancer Research


A whole new field of epigenetics research from Virginia Common Wealth University Massey Cancer Center has been discovered with the possibility of developing future gene therapies to treat cancer as well as other age-associated diseases. Epigenetics refers to the process that controls which genes get expressed in the nucleus of a cell, ultimately determining that cell's biological characteristics.


Shirley M. Taylor, Ph.D., researcher at VCU Massey Cancer Center and associate professor in the VCU Department of Microbiology and Immunology at VCU School of Medicine, was a graduate student when her research helped establish the field of epigenetics. Many years later Dr. Taylor and her colleagues have expanded their knowledge from understanding enzymes are in existence not only in the nuclei but also in the mitochondria.


All of an organism's hereditary information exists in two distinct genomes of all mammal's cells. Taylor's study found two DNA modifications in the mitochondrial genome. From the article, "In diseases such as cancer, epigenetic control is lost," says Taylor. "Genes that should be switched on are switched off and vice versa, leading to uncontrolled growth. Our research indicates that errors in gene expression could be unfolding in mitochondria, possibly contributing to loss of mitochondrial function typical of cancer and a host of other age-related diseases." One of the main areas of focus for Taylor and her team is trying to determine whether epigenetic control is a factor contributing to defects that lead to serious illnesses. Understanding the impact drugs have on gene expression in the nucleus and discovering beneficial ways of using it for the mitochondria would be huge.


It is always interesting to me when new studies and discoveries come out about steps taken towards cancer research. Cancer affects millions of people worldwide every year and is the world's leading cause of death. According to the World Health Organization, "Deaths from cancer worldwide are projected to continue rising, with an estimated 12 million deaths in 2030." Although the cure for cancer or other serious age related diseases may not be discovered shortly, it still gives hope that new research in the field of Microbiology is taking strides toward making that a reality one day!

References

Virginia Commonwealth University (2011, June 21). Discoveries in mitochondria open new field of cancer research. ScienceDaily. Retrieved July 3, 2011, from http://www.sciencedaily.com­ /releases/2011/06/110620161306.htm

L. S. Shock, P. V. Thakkar, E. J. Peterson, R. G. Moran, S. M. Taylor. DNA methyltransferase 1, cytosine methylation, and cytosine hydroxymethylation in mammalian mitochondria. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 2011; 108 (9): 3630

http://www.who.int/cancer/en/




1 comment:

  1. Do you still Struggle with Cold Sores, unexpected Outbreak and Herpes Virus? then you don't have to keep waiting for treatment when the is a herbal medicine that cure this virus. I was searching online for Herbal Cure for Herpes Virus when I saw a testimony online about Dr. Akintunde and how he cured a lady of HSV1 with his.
    natural herbal medicine and tested Negative and in less than a month she was cured of this virus. So it took me time to believe that this was true, because my family Doctor tried all his best to get rid of this virus in my body system but yet no cure and I suffered from outbreak and Cold Sores always. I had to contact Dr. Akintunde after I have access his website and i had faith in God that I was going to be fine and free of this virus one day. Finally I contacted Dr. Akintunde on his WhatsApp number that I saw on the testimony post online, and after our conversation the Doctor only promise me that I was going to be cured and free of this virus after taking his natural herbal medicine because I was tired of my situation with this virus it was so distracting to my life and whole family. Later Dr. Akintunde send some Herbal medicine to me through UPS courier service, with instructions on how to used this medicine, to my biggest surprise first week of taking my herbal medication I saw great improvement and I still think that it's a dream but this is real, I now test Negative of this virus today and my blood pressure well regulated now, my family doctor after my test was extremely surprise to see my test result change to HSV1 Negative and no more symptoms, cold sores, sores throat and outbreak again. I wish to tell everyone about this, mostly if you have this virus then do yourself good to contact Dr. Akintunde and see what the Lord can do through this Herbal Doctor's medicine in less than a month. 100% free from herpes Virus. I and my family say "thank you" Sir, for helping my life. You are a blessing to this generation and God will reward you richly

    Email: drakintundehomecare@gmail.com

    WhatsApp number: +234 703 524 5593

    ReplyDelete