Saturday, July 23, 2011


They're Bad, But Can They Be Good?

Prions are known as infectious agents, but is it possible that they are an evolutionary adaptation in mammals that sometimes goes awry? First studied for their part in neurodegenerative diseases called transmissible spongiform encephalopathies (TSE) (mad cow disease in bovines, scrapie in ovines and Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease in humans) the role and function of normal prions has taken longer to determine.

Prions are proteins in misfolded form. They are different from other known infectious agents – viruses, bacteria, fungi, and parasites – all of which contain nucleic acids (either DNA, RNA, or both). A prion contains no nucleic acids. Misfolded prions are infectious by their effect on normal versions of the prion protein. A prion replicates by inducing other properly-folded proteins to convert into the disease-associated, prion form; the prion acts as a template to guide the misfolding of more protein into prion form. These newly misfolded prions then go on to convert more proteins themselves, triggering a chain reaction that produces large amounts of the misfolded prion form. All known prions induce the formation of an amyloid fold. Amyloid aggregates are fibrils, growing at their ends, and replicating when breakage causes two growing ends to become four growing ends. The incubation period of prion diseases is determined by the exponential growth rate associated with prion replication. The propagation of the prion depends on the presence of normally-folded protein in which the prion can induce misfolding; animals which do not express the normal form of the prion protein cannot develop or transmit the disease.

In a study done by Gerald Zamponi and colleagues it has been discovered that prions actually may have a good side. When not abnormally folded, the presence of prions has been shown to inhibit the activity of certain neurons; acting as a check or balance on the overexcitation of certain neural transmissions - protecting the longevity of the neuron by keeping it from running itself to an early death.

In this study the brain activity of knockout mice (PrP-null) which lacked the prion protein was examined and compared with the brain activity of wild-type mice in which the prion protein was present. It was found that the neurons of the knockout mice responded longer and more vigorously to electrical or drug-induced stimulation than did neurons of the wild-type mice that had normal prion protein. Both brains showed similar waveform patterns, with waveforms exhibiting a robust presynaptic volley, a sharp downward deflecting population spike, and upward deflecting field excitatory postsynaptic potential as well as robust paired-pulse facilitation. However the PrP-null mice showed an increase in the number of overriding polyspikes. This suggested to the researchers that neurons in PrP-null mice fired multiple action potentials in response to a single stimulus and indicated a basal increase in excitability. Further testing indicated that the enhanced excitability seen in the PrP-null mice was in large part caused by the activity of N-methyl-d-aspartate receptor (NMDAR). These receptors are known to play a part in neuronal excitability and excitotoxic neuronal cell death. Without the normal prion protein present to regulate or modulate these receptors, the neurons in the brains of these overreacted again and again eventually leading to early degeneration of the neuron.

The trick for scientists now is to determine just how to balance the good and the bad of prion proteins in the search for treatments and cures for the many forms of TSE’s. Prions may have a bad name right now, but unlocking the secrets to their proper workings may one day advance the cures for the diseases they cause.

sources:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/05/080507105649.htm

http://jcb.rupress.org/content/181/3/551.full


4 comments:

  1. Dr Itua cure my HIV, I have been a ARV Consumption for 10 years. i have been in pains until i came across Dr Itua on blogs site.I emailed him about my details of my HIV and my location i explained every thing to him and he told me that there is nothing to be scared of that he will cured me, he gave me guarantee,He ask me to pay for items fees so when i'm cured I will show gratitude I did and giving testimony of his healing herbs is what I'm going to do for the rest of you out there having HIV and other disease can see the good work of Dr Itua.I received his herbal medicine through EMS Courier service who delivered to my post office within 5 working days.Dr Itua is an honest man and I appreciate him for his good work.My GrandMa called him to appreciate him and rest of my friends did too,Is a joy to me that I'm free of taking Pills and having that fat belle is a nightmare.you will understand what i'm talking about if you have same problem I was having then not now though.I'm free and healthy Big Thanks To Dr Itua Herbal Center.I have his calendar too that he recently sent me,He Cure all kind disease Like,Cancer,Herpes,Fibromyalgia,Hiv,Hepatitis B,Fibroid,Diabetes,Dercum,Copd ,and also Bring back Ex Lover Back..Here his Contact .drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com Or Whats_app Number +2348149277967

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm 15 years old. I was born with HIV my mother passed away because of the HIV infection And I regret why i never met Dr Itua he could have cured my mum for me because as a single mother it was very hard for my mother I came across Dr itua healing words online about how he cure different disease in different races diseases like HIV/Aids Herpes,Parkison,Asthma,Copd,Epilepsy,Shingles,Cold Sore,Infertility, Chronic Fatigues Syndrome,Fibromyalgia, Diabetes Hepatitis even Cancer I was so excited but frighten at same time because I haven't come across such thing article online then I contacted Dr Itua on Mail drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com I also chat with him on what's app +2348149277967 he tells me how it works then I tell him I want to proceed I paid him so swiftly Colorado post office I receive my herbal medicine within 4/5 working days he gave me guild lines to follow and here am I living healthy again can imagine how god use men to manifest his works am I writing in all articles online to spread the god work of Dr Itua Herbal Medicine,He's a Great Man.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you still Struggle with Cold Sores, unexpected Outbreak and Herpes Virus? then you don't have to keep waiting for treatment when the is a herbal medicine that cure this virus. I was searching online for Herbal Cure for Herpes Virus when I saw a testimony online about Dr. Akintunde and how he cured a lady of HSV1 with his.
    natural herbal medicine and tested Negative and in less than a month she was cured of this virus. So it took me time to believe that this was true, because my family Doctor tried all his best to get rid of this virus in my body system but yet no cure and I suffered from outbreak and Cold Sores always. I had to contact Dr. Akintunde after I have access his website and i had faith in God that I was going to be fine and free of this virus one day. Finally I contacted Dr. Akintunde on his WhatsApp number that I saw on the testimony post online, and after our conversation the Doctor only promise me that I was going to be cured and free of this virus after taking his natural herbal medicine because I was tired of my situation with this virus it was so distracting to my life and whole family. Later Dr. Akintunde send some Herbal medicine to me through UPS courier service, with instructions on how to used this medicine, to my biggest surprise first week of taking my herbal medication I saw great improvement and I still think that it's a dream but this is real, I now test Negative of this virus today and my blood pressure well regulated now, my family doctor after my test was extremely surprise to see my test result change to HSV1 Negative and no more symptoms, cold sores, sores throat and outbreak again. I wish to tell everyone about this, mostly if you have this virus then do yourself good to contact Dr. Akintunde and see what the Lord can do through this Herbal Doctor's medicine in less than a month. 100% free from herpes Virus. I and my family say "thank you" Sir, for helping my life. You are a blessing to this generation and God will reward you richly

    Email: drakintundehomecare@gmail.com

    WhatsApp number: +234 703 524 5593

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to share my testimonies to the general
    public on how this great man called Dr OLOKUN who cure my herpes. I have been a HERPES patient for over 9 Months and i have been in pains until i came across this lady when i traveled to Africa for business trip who happer and she told me that there is this great herbal doctor that help her tocure her herpes and she gave me his email address for me to contact and i did as she instructed. The man Dr OLOKUN told me how much to buy the
    herpes herbal medication and how i will get it, which i did. And to my
    greatest surprise that i took the Herpes herbal medicine for just two week as he
    instructed and behold i went for a herpes test, to my greatest surprise for the
    doctor confirmed me to be herpes free and said that i no longer have
    herpes in my system and till now i have never felt any pains nor herpes again, so i
    said i must testify the goodness of this man to the general public. So if
    you are there surfing from this Herpes problems or any deadly disease or
    other disease for i will advice you to contact him on his working
    email: drolokuntemple@gmail.com OR call his +2348132537313 whatsapp number

    ReplyDelete